Tuesday, September 18, 2007

It's becoming a good life

You understand that your life is getting better when you come home from work, sit down to your computer or whathaveyou, and you don't think to yourself: "God I hate my job."

I love my job. A lot. I don't hate getting up in the morning to go to work, I don't hate being there, and I don't come home feeling like I don't want to go back. My days are quite enjoyable, and I have a really awesome team at Geek Squad. I'm learning new things everyday, and teaching people how to use their computers properly at the same time. Maybe for me, it's a sense of accomplishment, as not only am I expanding my knowledge, but I'm helping to fight stupidity 1 person at a time. It's a good thing.

Now, I know that not every job can be perfect, and I do have some complaints about mine, but 90% of the time it's just because customers don't pick their shit up. That's it. I would be 100% euphoric if I could get customers to pick up their stuff the day I call them to pick it up. Or even the day after, I'll accept that. But seriously: my shelves are getting overstocked from unclaimed electronics that people drop off, and then never pick back up. And I call them every other day to remind them. It's not like they don't know. Can't claim ignorance. And on that, how do you just 'forget' about a $2000 piece of hardware that you most likely just spent another $250+ on just for us to fix it? That's my gripe, and my only one.

Other than that...

It's getting better, everyday.
~Baren

4 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger Me said...

It's a little like: "Oh crap, now I have to come up with the $250 to get that thing back, maybe I can live without it for another week or two until I get my money together..." Sounds like an excuse that people would use.
Curious, do you pre-quote them or just ball park it?

Don't worry about enjoying it, it will become mind numbing over time - just like every job. Once you get used to it, it all becomes the same.

~ Orthimnas ~

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Baren said...

OK, I did fail to mention that of those customers that don't pick their stuff up for a long time 75% of them don't owe us a dime. Most of them are covered by either warranty or Service Plan. The ones that need to rack up the cash, I have more patience for, and usually cut them some slack.

We pre-quote to the best of our ability. If something is to be sent to service, there is a shipping charge that we make the customer aware of, and usually await approval to ship. Essentially, if there are any charges in addition to what we quote, we get customer approval before continuing working on their system. We don't believe in hidden fees. Especially at my store.

As for enjoying it, I think I will for some time. A good judge of that, for me at least, is that I've now been there a month and don't hate it, so I probably won't any time soon.

Good to see you back, by the way.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Squall said...

Its nice to know that jobs do exist that you don't have to hate after being there for two weeks.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Kato said...

I just noticed your profile is now out of date as it still says that you are unemployed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home