Wednesday, October 27, 2004

A new game to kill time with

I didn't want to play any more MMOPRG's, after my stint with Ragnarok Online (which isn't so bad, it kept me sane) and Final Fantasty XI (which is a game to play only if you have extreme patience and a healthy supply of Prozac), but I have managed to get in the scene again with a new one called 'Maple Story'. More a side-scoller than an RPG, but all the elements are there, including a decent sized map and several different job classses and sub classes. I found 2 things wrong with the game so far, though:
1. The difficulty is NOT for the weak hearted. Expect a hard time if you are making anything but a warrior, until you get high level. (Level 20 is considered high, which brings me to my next point)

2. Gaining EXP is like picking your teeth with a rusty nail. Between the miniscule amount that enemies give you (which, on the other hand is easy to acquire considering the unhealthy re-spawn rate) and the quests that you can't do until level 20+, you'll be a few days before you really get anywhere. I just made lvl 15 today, and I've been playing for 3 days. Lets not forget, for all you Ragnarok fans, the loss of EXP when you respawn. I'm not talking 1% as in aforementioned game, I'm talking between 10-15%
of the total amount needed for next level per death.

But to be fair, the game is still in Beta, and it's free. It's definitely a game to check out despite the above cons. It's mildly addicting, but not a soul eater like Ragnarok. Items are easy to come by, cash isn't that scarce, and nothing you need is unreasonably priced, again unlike Ragnarok. (As much as I bag on RO, you'd think I hate it, but you'd be wrong.) This is a game that you can literally pick up on your lunch break, and still keep up with. The highest level I've seen anybody get to is lvl 35, and they've been playing for a very long time. I may as well write a full synopsis on the game, since I'm half way there, and I'm bored.

The game starts you off in the Beginner class, and you are able to move on to your next job at level 10, assuming you meet the requirements.
1st up: Warrior. Typical warrior, able to use knives, swords, spears, axes and maces.
This is definitely the class for n00bs. (I'll admit once again that I use a warrior.)Relies on STR, and can use heavy armors. Subclasses are: Fighter, Page and Spearman, which in turn can level up into 3 new classes apiece.

2nd: Magician. Magic user, can use knives and wands. Typically wears Robes and light armor. Relies on INT. Subclasses are Fire Wizard, Ice Wizard and Cleric, each with 3 class evolutions.

3rd: Bowman. Archer. Can use daggers, some spears and bows. Wears Light armor. Relies on DEX. Subclasses are Hunter and Crossbowman. Each with 3 Evolutions.

and last but not least, the coolest class in any damn game: Thief! (AKA Rogue) Uses daggers, swords, fists, stars, and katars. Wears light armor and standard clothing. Relies on DEX and LUK. Subclasses are Assassin(!) and Bandit. Each with 3 evolutions. This job is more for intermediate players, as you WILL get your ass kicked alot, since you have no STR and little armor. However, once you build to a decent level, your LUK and DEX will keep you from getting hit as often (if at all) and they have the coolest skills in the game. I know this because I also have a lvl 10 Rogue, and he is painful as Hell to use.

To read it for yourself, go here:
  • MapleStory


  • I think that's about all. At least for now.
    Lates, you Magnificent Bastards.
    ~Baren

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home